Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fort Stevens

We had a great time here at Fort Stevens... we love all of the history behind it. Seeing all of the old World War 1 and 2 stuff was pretty amazing. There was a little museum there also and it had some items from the Civil War... I love learning about the Civil War and Tim loves learnigng about WW2. Zackary is pretty into history also, so this was a fun day for all of us! The boys had a blast going through the old cement rooms and seeing what things once were like. The guns were pretty amazing too. What little boy wouldn't want to see those!!


Here they are atop one of the forts... they are pretty cool. Camoflauged by the ground around them... they are open on one side and under ground on the other, as to not be seen by the enemy. This huge round hole is where a huge gun/cannon was placed. Pretty cool stuff!


My grandpa told me that this was a WW2 jeep. The boys thought this was pretty awesome!


Ean liked all of these cool doors, although many of them didn't open anymore. Not for visitors at least. The ones that were open, we explored...

Zackary and Ean atop a lookout tower. Can you see on the backside of the fort here that the ground comes right up to the top... On the ground behind the fort, they have reenactments of wars past. I would like to see that someday.

These old doors are just so cool looking... this one is to the "Tool Room."

Another pretty cool weapon... Seriously, these are some huge guns!

Running around in front of the fort. This place was huge!!

Here is one of the guns/cannons inside that circular hole from an earlier photo.

Yet another large gun/cannon. This one actually faces the ocean and the lookout tower faces the ocean too. Had to keep safe from enemy ships!

This is a smaller cannon just outside the museum.
We had a blast here and there was so much more to see that we will have to make another trip here to see it all!!

3 comments:

Erica Johnston said...

I;m such a nerd! Why did I never know you had a blog until I saw it on Jenny's new blog!? So fun!

Luke said...

Holy smokes, how do you get out and do stuff like this with 5 kids? We took our 2 to the grand canyon and the zoo last summer and it was exhausting. You guys are amazing.

Wayne and Ann Cowley said...

I loved Fort Stevens when Ann and I went there the week before you. I still had fun, like your boys, climbing all over everything, only at a much slower pace than I used to. Glad to see you guys are providing opportunities for your boys to learn history first hand. It is good for them. We did that a lot with our 5 boys years ago. Good Job!
Uncle Wayne